Shirley attended Ursuline Academy and went on to earn both a Bachelor and Master’s degree from the School of Business at St. Mary’s University. She has been working in her family-owned business for 20 years and enjoys being a strong corporate leader in supporting educational institutions and organizations making a difference in her neighborhood.
Small Minority Business Owner
As a business owner, Shirley has developed and implemented a program which reimburses college tuition to her employees who have worked at Bill’s Pawn and Jewelry for more than one year. She supports a great number of organizations in her community such as; the Girl Scouts of America, Lanier High School Vocational Program, Guadalupe Culture Arts Center, Guadalupe Community Center, San Antonio Food Bank, Central Catholic High School, Bonham Academy, Sembradores de Amistdad, St. Mary's University, and the Mexican American Unity Council. Additionally, Shirley created a training program between the San Antonio Police Department and San Antonio Pawnbrokers Association to help employees recognize stolen property and, she successfully lobbied city council to adopt L.E.A.D.S online, a third party data transfer, to allow SAPD to view all pawn transactions in San Antonio while protecting the privacy of individual customers.
Professional and Community Involvement
- West San Antonio Chamber of Commerce
- Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Texas Association of Pawnbrokers, Former Board Member
- National Pawnbrokers Association Member
- San Antonio Development Association, Former Board Member
- Small Business Advisory Committee, Former Board Member
- Leadership San Antonio Alumni
- Leadership SAISD Class of 2013
- Chair for the 2014 15th Year Anniversary of the Mexican American Unity Council Scholarship Awards Gala